Laura's Life Day by Day

These are the things that go on in Laura's life. Thoughts, emotions, concerns, and just day to day living in Laura's world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseville, Michigan, United States

I've been married for thirty years now. I have three grown children and five grandchildren, and another due in November. My boys are both married and my youngest, my only daughter still lives at home. I work at an assisted living place taking care of elderly residents.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Sleeping Beauty


A damp cold fills the air. The wind howls. However today, for me, has been tranquil, quiet, peaceful. I got out of bed, dressed for work, and headed out the door. A cold rain hit my face as I made my way to the car. I started to drive. No music. Hardly a car in sight other than my own. I entered the building and went up to shift report. No arguements from the staff. Everyone was in a good mood. I went up to my floor and spent a quiet day with my residents. No problems, no complaints. After work, I went to the gym. Unlike when I usually go, it was not crowded. I did not have to wait to get on the treadmill or any of the weight machines. I felt an inner peace all day long which continued throughout my workout. Came home feeling refreshed and calm. I walked down the empty hallway and peeked into my Sheila's room. I found her just as the enclosed photograph portrays. I looked at her sleeping there. My poor sleeping baby. She takes care of her eldest brother's three girls all week long and this Saturday, for her, was spent watching her other brother's two boys. I remembered back to when she was a small child. The times I used to spend rocking her to sleep while singing her a lullaby. I looked at her sleeping face and mixed emotions of sadness and joy filled my heart. Sadness in the fact that sometime in the not to distant future, I will no longer be able to come home and find my little beauty sound asleep. For she will have found a life of her own away from me. Also a joy in the fact that my little sleeping beauty has grown up to be a very kind, compassionate, and caring individual with so much to offer this world. But where ever her life leads her, the memory of this moment as I watched my little sleeping beauty will be etched in my mind and in my heart for all eternity.

11 Comments:

Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

HEY!!! whats the big idea! Taking picutres of me sleeping. Hope I wasn't drooling!

8:53 PM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger Helen said...

Wow - I have been leaving comments on Sheila's blog for a while now, and from now on, I can comment on your's too!
I am just in the process of adding you to my 'Blogs to Visit After Leaving Here' list. Liking the blog! Thanks for your comment earlier on my blog.
Helen x

6:21 AM, October 29, 2006  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Very sweet, nothing like a Mom's love ;) Here's to Inner Peace.

11:20 AM, October 29, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. That was a nice post.

11:35 PM, October 29, 2006  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Ahhh thats sooo sweet.

6:39 AM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Cheri said...

That makes me think of my mom, taking care of me all week while I whined about pain and cried when it was very bad. Same with my dad, who has never been very affection with my brother or I.

9:11 AM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Great picture and post! Sheila looks adorable!

10:22 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Cheri said...

I can't call parents by their first names, it's difficult and I feel disrespectful lol. So, Mrs. Hartman, I don't know if Sheila told you, but I used to live behind you about 16 years ago. =D I don't know if you remember my parents, John & Nancy Nowicki?

10:56 PM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Sara's Varolo Village said...

My Mom is four states away and now I'm all teary eyed.

Sara :)

1:02 AM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes Cheri, I remember you. When you don't want to call someone by their 1st name out of respect, but you don't want to use the last name, you could alway do what my grandkids do when they address neighbors and such. Just put a Miss or Mr. before their 1st name. For example, you could call me Miss Laura or my husband Mr. Rick. It still shows respect, but it's not so formal.

8:45 AM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

Nice post. I don't have kids, but I have an idea you captured a parent's pride quite effectively.

2:25 PM, October 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home