Laura's Life Day by Day

These are the things that go on in Laura's life. Thoughts, emotions, concerns, and just day to day living in Laura's world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseville, Michigan, United States

I've been married for thirty years now. I have three grown children and five grandchildren, and another due in November. My boys are both married and my youngest, my only daughter still lives at home. I work at an assisted living place taking care of elderly residents.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

You just never know


Today at work everything was running smooth all day long. Everything was peaceful and quiet. It almost seemed like a weekend, not much going on. Then, as I am doing my last rounds before going down to shift report and leaving for the day, it starts. I go into one of my residents rooms to see how she is doing and to say goodbye until tommorrow morning, and I find her in bed. Her face has a bluish tint to it and my heart sinks. I go over to her to touch her skin to see if she is cold and clammy and breathe a sigh of relief when she opens her eyes. She looks dazed and confused. I call the nurse on duty to have her come up and check out my resident. By the time the nurse gets up to my floor, the resident is getting her color back and talking coherently. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, O.K. the nurse is going to think I'm overreacting in regards to the situation. However, I tell the nurse on duty exactly what the resident looked like when I arrived in her room. Thank God this is one of the nurses that have respect for what the caregivers have to say because, if it was one of the other nurses that thinks she knows everything and we are nothing but moronic workers, my resident could be dead by now. Anyways, the nurse took my residents blood pressure, which was on the low side of normal. I kept repeating what she looked like when I found her to the nurse. The nurse decided to check her oxygen level in her blood. It was extremely low. The nurse called the doctor, and the doctor told her to send my resident out 911 emergency. It was so difficult to leave work after that. I'm just sitting here wondering what happened to my resident and whether or not she'll be alright. Sometimes my job can get so stressful. I get filled with all kinds of emotions. Everything can be going perfectly and then boom! You just never know.

1 Comments:

Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

Sorry to hear about your resident mom. I hope she is ok

4:43 PM, October 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home