Laura's Life Day by Day

These are the things that go on in Laura's life. Thoughts, emotions, concerns, and just day to day living in Laura's world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseville, Michigan, United States

I've been married for thirty years now. I have three grown children and five grandchildren, and another due in November. My boys are both married and my youngest, my only daughter still lives at home. I work at an assisted living place taking care of elderly residents.

Friday, November 24, 2006

What was I Thinking

Yesterday was a wonderful Thanksgiving day. Watching the parade on TV, all the family coming over, even my older brother came over. After dinner played games, talked, laughed, and someone brought up shopping for the early specials on friday morning. So late last night, after everyone was gone home and my husband was snoring away, I got to thinking, "Oh, I haven't went shopping day after Thanksgiving for years and since I don't have to work in the morning, maybe I'll get up and get some of my Christmas shopping done".
What the hell was I thinking!!! I set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. so I could get an early start. I actually thought as I drove down Gratiot Ave. "Oh, this isn't so bad. There's hardly any traffic on the roads this morning". Then I pulled in to the store parking lot. Well, I guess this is where all the cars were hiding. Yes at 5 a.m. the store is more packed than I have ever seen. Stupid me, I go into the store expecting to find a shopping cart in there. No Carts - the lady in the greeting section of the store tells me that shoppers are getting the carts from the people in the parking lot that are done shopping. So out to the parking lot I go, looking for a cart. After ten minutes of looking in a cart empty lot, I finally find one.
Then it begins. "excuse me, pardon me, oops sorry" I make my way through the isles. It takes about two hours in that first store to find most of what I was looking for. They were sold out of a few things, but I prided myself on the fact that I did get most of the stuff on my list. So I make my way to the checkout counter. Shock hits me. Oh, now I remember why I don't go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. So I wait, and I wait, and I wait. Finally after about 45 more minutes, It's my turn to check out. Oh Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!! I go back to the parking lot with my bags of goodies and realize, I forgot where I parked my car. Another 10 minutes go by and I finally find my vehicle. So I pack up the stuff in the trunk, hop in the car, and . . . well, you know the rest. I go to the next store on my list and start this mess all over again. I'm a glutin for punishment. After all the big sales of the morning are over, I'm on my way home. It's about 11:30 a.m. I have a bad headache, I'm tired, and I'm hungry. I get home, bring the stuff in the house, get some leftover Thanksgiving dinner in my belly, take some motrin, and go to bed for a nap vowing never to venture out on the day after Thanksgiving again as long as I live. (Or at least until I forget how terrible it is)

18 Comments:

Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Sounds like you're glad to have it done with :-> I'm keeping outta sight and low-key for now. Happy end of Black Friday!

9:34 PM, November 24, 2006  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

You didn't happen to go to Circuit City did you? I made my purchase, had a McDonald's breakfast, and was home by 7:30. And guess what? I saved 430 smackaroos!

12:49 AM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

It's a killer, that Black Friday! I'm proud of your bravery.

9:56 AM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Erik Donald France said...
Sounds like you're glad to have it done with :-> I'm keeping outta sight and low-key for now.

. . . Yeah, I'm gonna stay away from the stores for at least a week!!!

2:46 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

JR's Thumbprints said...
You didn't happen to go to Circuit City did you?

. . . No, I didn't go to Circut City. I was mainly shopping for the grandkids.

2:47 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Michelle's Spell said...
It's a killer, that Black Friday! I'm proud of your bravery.

. . . It'll be a long time before I do that again.

2:49 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I never understood the ritual. I don't understand if it is a matter of rabid consumerism or a matter of several people with pinched pocketbooks hoping to find a deal in a world where deals are all too hard to find.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Laura and thanks for sharing.

7:39 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Stewart Sternberg said...
I never understood the ritual.

. . . I don't understand what in the world possessed me to venture out there either. Believe it or not, I don't even like to go out shopping let alone deal with that mess.

9:34 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

Hopefully you at least hit some good sales.

4:41 PM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

I'm made the mistake of going to the boxing day sale (the day after x-mas) and its not a pretty site, you have to grab what your buying and be prepared to defend it with your life!

4:15 AM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Steven said...

God dammit I hate Christmas shopping...if I could get it all online...I would...

Damn shipping charges and my broke ass. ;)

Steve~

12:40 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Bird on a Wire said...
Hopefully you at least hit some good sales.

. . . I got some good stuff for the grandkids on sale, but I don't think the hassle was worth the savings.

3:03 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

ShadowFalcon said...
I'm made the mistake of going to the boxing day sale (the day after x-mas) and its not a pretty site

. . . I did that once too, Big Mistake!

~Laura~

3:05 PM, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Steven Novak said...
God dammit I hate Christmas shopping...if I could get it all online...I would...

Damn shipping charges and my broke ass.

. . . Yeah, tell me about it. I'm not even finished and I'm broke.

~Laura~

3:06 PM, November 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Laura, at least you've got some of it over with...I haven't even started! My husband will take a day off from work in the next week or so. We'll make our list (check it twice :)), go out shopping and have lunch together, which makes it a very nice day. That way I don't have to do any heavy lifting and we get to spend a little time together, too. The only bad thing is my daughter's birthday is December 7th, so it's double shopping for her, and she is not easy to buy for.

2:27 PM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

R's Musings

. . . Yeah I know the feeling. My birthday is December 1st, the twin's are on the 28th, their big sister's birthday is on the 30th, and my oldest son (their father) is on December 31st.

3:30 PM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

see thats just the problem... you weren't thinking!

5:18 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Sheila said...
see thats just the problem... you weren't thinking!

. . . Alright smarty pants, be nice.

7:57 PM, November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home