Laura's Life Day by Day

These are the things that go on in Laura's life. Thoughts, emotions, concerns, and just day to day living in Laura's world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseville, Michigan, United States

I've been married for thirty years now. I have three grown children and five grandchildren, and another due in November. My boys are both married and my youngest, my only daughter still lives at home. I work at an assisted living place taking care of elderly residents.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Stupidity with a capital "S"

I'm at work and everything is going great, until . . .

One of my residents decides to put a load of laundry in right at lunch time. Now this guy knows that I have to get the table linnens in the wash right after lunch so they can be done, folded, and put away before I have to be down to shift report at 3 p.m. This resident of mine never puts in a normal load of clothes. He packs down his clothes into the washing machine until it will hold no more and turns it on. He won't let the facility do his wash because he doesn't want to pay the extra few bucks for us to do it for him. Then instead of taking care of his own laundry, like he is suppose to do when he choses to do his own wash, he conveniently forgets about it and leaves it to me to finish. There are so many clothes in his "one load" that it takes about an hour and a half to dry them all. Well, his laundry finally gets dry at 2:30 p.m. I go to get the clothes out of the dryer and I am rushing because I have to fold his stuff, get my linnens done, folded and put away, unload the dishwasher, and make my last rounds on the residents so I can make it to shift report at 3 p.m. I quickly go to take the clothes out of the dryer and the tips of my fingers bash into the dryer drum. The fingernail on my third finger of my right hand is forced backwards causing the nail to snap half off. Naturally this starts bleeding all over. My wrist stayed straight and the force of the impact did something to my arm right above the wrist. That part of my arm now has a swollen knot on it and is starting to bruise. I'm thinking to myself, I'll never get all my stuff done because I have to fill out an employee incident report and go to the nurses office with it. I fill out the report and take it to the nurses office on the 3rd floor. They check out my arm and finger They give me an ice pack for my arm, bandage the tip of my finger, and start lecturing me that I should go to the clinic. I'm thinking to myself, like that's going to happen for something as simple as this. I'm not wasting my time to sit in a clinic for a few hours after work so they can take x-rays and tell me it's not broken. The one nurse who is filling out their section of my report asks me, "What should I put down as the cause of this injury"? I give her a sarcastic look and reply, "stupidity". She looks at me funny and says, "they don't have that on this form". The other nurse looks at her and says, "just put a checkmark by accidental". So now I'm home trying to type this crap onto my blogsite. My arm is killing me and typing this isn't helping any, so I think I'll end it on that note. Hope everybody's day went better than mine did.

17 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Don't feel bad. The day after we had a safety meeting at work I tripped and jammed my hand into a stack of milk crates, smashing my finger and hurting my arm. One of the things discussed at the meeting was tripping hazards.
Hope your arm and finger heal up soon!

11:52 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Poor Laura! It really is Monday all day! I hope you're feeling better soon.

11:54 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

That sounds like the worst afternoon ever, I say conviently for get his laundry next time and leave it there to rot. Its not very nice but he might learn his lesson.

5:51 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

One of my dad's employees had a finger severed in the factory. He showed up for work the very next day. My dad confronted him, asking, "Why are you here?" and the man kept saying, "I fucked up, okay. Just let me work." How's that for a stereotypical lazy Union worker producing automobiles in the "D"?

7:34 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Not to undermine your injury; I sincerely hope you're okay.

7:35 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

Hey mom. I hurt my fingernail too. Same finger different hand. The whole cuticle got ripped off and blood started pouring out. When you got home and Joe saw your hand too... he said, "Oh look, you guys are retarded together!" Men!

2:30 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Jim . . . I went to work today too and my supervisor kept bugging me to go to the clinic. I told her, yeah o.k. it hurts, but nothing is broken, just let me do my job!

5:05 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

ShadowFalcon . . . You know that same resident did the same thing to me today!!! This time, I took his crap out of the washer and set it in his clothes basket until I was done with my stuff. Then I put his laundry in the dryer and left it for him to deal with. Am I bad?

5:08 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Tim . . . Thanks for the response. Now I don't feel like I'm the only klutz on the face of the earth. No offense.

5:10 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Michelle's Spell . . . Thank you for your well wishes.

5:11 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Sheila . . . See I told you that you were just like me. ha ha.

5:12 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

All because some idiot couldn't dry his own clothes...

I accidentally cut myself at work on a can of jalapenos. I had to get 2 stitches, but what was worse was the jalapeno juice and the way it burned.

6:34 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Oh man, Monday really sucked! Hope you heal up fast.

6:39 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Erik Donald France . . .

Thanks for your concern. I hope I heal fast too.

7:26 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Sara's Varolo Village said...

Poor thing, go fix yourself a nice cup of tea - and add some scotch to it.

Sara :)

11:54 PM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Bird on a Wire . . .

Jalapenos juice!!! Ouch.

10:16 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

ChiefMommy Owl . . .

I don't drink scotch, but I did have tea with honey in it. Thanks for your kind words.

10:18 AM, November 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home