Laura's Life Day by Day

These are the things that go on in Laura's life. Thoughts, emotions, concerns, and just day to day living in Laura's world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roseville, Michigan, United States

I've been married for thirty years now. I have three grown children and five grandchildren, and another due in November. My boys are both married and my youngest, my only daughter still lives at home. I work at an assisted living place taking care of elderly residents.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

This is Taco


Sheila and I went out shopping right before Christmas on the 23rd of December to pick up some last minute items for the holiday. We decided to go to the mall and look around.

Now for the past 6 months or so, my husband has been bugging me about getting a new dog. Our dog Petey had died at the age of 14 years and my husband though enough time had past to see about getting another dog. Petey was a Pomeranian and the best dog we ever had. After he died, I swore I would never get another dog because he had been with us for so long and his death was so hard for the family to take. Well my husband, Ricky, had his heart set on getting a Chihuahua!!! Now I am not to fond of these little stinkers because when I was 7 years old, I got bit by a Chihuahua and let me tell you, those little teeth hurt. Needless to say, I was against getting another dog.

Sheila and I went into the pet store, just to look at the puppies and I had no intentions on buying one. We looked over all the different breeds of puppies that were in those little cages and Sheila spotted two Chihuahuas in a cage. She said, "Aw, aren't they cute. They're so tiny." Just then, one of the sales ladies was walking by us. She stopped, turned to us, and asked the dreaded question, "Would you like to take them out of the cage and look at them in the little room." I was ready to say no when Sheila jumped in with a big "YES!" I knew I was sunk then. The saleslady took out our Taco first and brought him to the back room where Sheila was ready to cuddle this little guy and give him all kinds of lovin. Then the pleading started. "Oh mom", Sheila exclaimed, "Dad would just love this little puppy for his Christmas present. You know how bad he wants one. He would be so happy. Can we get him, Can we?" She begged a little more, promises to take him to his vet visits and helping to take care of him, etc. etc. Then the saleslady brought in the other Chihuahua for us to examine. Sheila blurted out, "We could get both of them!" Suddenly I heard myself saying, " No, No, just pick one or the other, we can't get them both". So Sheila picked the one that she first had her eye on.

I didn't have enough money to buy the little puppy on me, and I also didn't have my credit card with me. The saleslady said, " Oh, we will hold him for you while you go home and get your card". Sheila said, "Yeah mom, you go and get the card and I'll stay here and hold the puppy". So this was it. I couldn't even change my mind on the ride home because the little puppy was holding my daughter and her heart captive until my return. So I drove home, picked up my card, and drove back to the store to pick up my daughter and the latest addition to our family. One good thing, we got $100.00 worth of free pet supplies with the dog.

Now we take the puppy home to Daddy to suprise him with his Christmas present. We walked through the door and handed over the little puppy to my husband. We started suggesting names to him for the puppy, but he was set on calling him Taco. Sheila kept protesting this decision saying she didn't want the dog named after a food. However Ricky questioned us with, "Is this my Christmas present or what?" I confirmed back to him, "Yes dear, this is your present". He stated firmly, "Then his name is Taco". Sheila caved in and we all welcomed Taco into our family.

25 Comments:

Blogger ZZZZZZZ said...

He is just the cutest tiniest thing ever!! Come on, look at that face! How can you not love him?

and I don't remember begging that much.

4:53 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Sheila,

. . . Ok, he is cute, but you did beg to get him and between yours and the dog's sad puppy dog eyes looking at me, it made it pretty hard to say no. And I guess I like the dog somewhat, but don't worry, it won't take long before I love him too.

9:44 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger Pythia3 said...

Laura, I know what you mean about having a pet for years and then losing them. I currently have a 9 year old golden retreaver and two cats (a 2 year old beta fish and a 10 year old gecko too). I had two cats before these two (one for 14 years and one fore 16 years) and when the last one died at 16, I swore - no more! Then, a year old cat showed up at my door, just a few months later, and I had to take it in. That was 2 years ago. I also have a year old cat I rescued (or I should say my grandson rescued!) from the vet's office over the 4th of July weekend. So it all begins again. But I love them all and they bring us so much unconditional love, lots of laughter and furry friendship.

12:21 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Pythia3 said...

I forgot to tell you how cute Taco is! I'll bet you're having so much fun with him.

12:22 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

lol I remember seeing those taco bell ad when I was state side. Hope you having fun, he is so cute!

7:03 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Laura,

That is the most adorable dog ever! And I love the name Taco. Good work Sheila. :)

9:58 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Tikilee said...

Well, It's better than being named Burrito or Ham Sandwich or something like that. I love dogs. They are members of your family. I understand the attachment for all animals but have always felt it most with dogs, but that�s just the way I am, not to take away from the other animals out there. My mom always says she never wants another dog when the family dog dies. I don't even want to think about that day. No one cries more during "Where The Red Fern Grows," than me.

Congrats on your new little soft shell.

3:06 PM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Pythia3 said...
Laura, I know what you mean about having a pet for years and then losing them. when the last one died at 16, I swore - no more! Then, a year old cat showed up at my door, just a few months later, and I had to take it in. they bring us so much unconditional love, lots of laughter and furry friendship.

That's just like me after Petey died. We still had a cat and fish, but I swore no more dogs, and then Taco came into our lives. He's a keeper.

5:05 PM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

ShadowFalcon said...
lol I remember seeing those taco bell ad when I was state side. Hope you having fun, he is so cute!

. . . I used to love those Taco Bell comercials. They should bring them back.

~Laura~

5:06 PM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Michelle's Spell said...
Laura,

That is the most adorable dog ever! And I love the name Taco. Good work Sheila. :)

. . . Yeah, If Sheila wasn't with me, I would not have gotten this little guy for my husband. I'm kind of glad now that she talked me into it.

~Laura~

5:07 PM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Wichita-Lineman said...
Well, It's better than being named Burrito or Ham Sandwich or something like that. I love dogs. They are members of your family. I understand the attachment for all animals but have always felt it most with dogs,

. . . I feel the same way about dogs. Especially because I'm the one who usually cleans up after it, feeds it, Bathes it, etc. The dog becomes like one of my kids. Trouble is, they live long enough to get very attached to, but they get old too darn fast, then they die after about 14 years or so. For me that is really hard to handle.

~Laura~

5:11 PM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Helen said...

Oh, what a cute dog! Me and my mum would love a dog, but my dad refuses! My mum then tells him that she will get one when he has dies, to replace him.
Helen

12:31 PM, January 06, 2007  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Laura,
Have you read "Marley & Me" yet? All dog lovers should read it. Nice "aquarium" dog. We just lost a hooded rat about equal in size.

8:57 AM, January 07, 2007  
Blogger Bird on a Wire said...

What's wrong with naming dogs after food? My dogs are Coffee and Apple.

4:28 PM, January 07, 2007  
Blogger Kay Russ said...

Cute puppy!...although no dog could ever replace Petey. Does Taco like squeeky hot dogs too?

1:44 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Helen said...
Oh, what a cute dog! Me and my mum would love a dog, but my dad refuses! My mum then tells him that she will get one when he has dies, to replace him.

. . . Cute, but spoiled already!

~Laura~

11:10 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

JR's Thumbprints said...
Hey Laura,
Have you read "Marley & Me" yet? All dog lovers should read it.

. . . No, I haven't read it yet. I'll have to see about getting it.

~Laura~

11:13 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Bird on a Wire said...
What's wrong with naming dogs after food? My dogs are Coffee and Apple.

. . . Coffee is a cute name for a dog, but why Apple?

~Laura~

11:18 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Kristin said...
Cute puppy!...although no dog could ever replace Petey. Does Taco like squeeky hot dogs too?

Yeah, Petey was the best. Taco likes this squeeky carrot. He also likes to play with Tabitha's squeeky mouse toy.

~Laura~

11:19 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Steven said...

Should have named him burrito or chimmychanga.

(I totally fucked up that spelling.) ;)

Steve~

1:23 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a cute dog. Compile about, oh, 15 of them and you might have one of my cats.

I still can't believe how unbelievably small those dogs are ...

1:03 AM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Steven Novak said...

Should have named him burrito or chimmychanga.

. . . I like Tacos better than Burritos and chimmychanga is just too darn long! But thanks for the suggestions.

4:27 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Dorky Dad said...

That's a cute dog. Compile about, oh, 15 of them and you might have one of my cats.

I still can't believe how unbelievably small those dogs are ...

. . . Yeah, When we brought him home and put him next to the cat, the cat looked like a giant.

~Laura~

4:29 PM, January 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Laura, Taco is sooo cute! Animals are great, aren't they? I love cuddling my new little kitties.

10:22 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

R's Musings said...
Aw, Laura, Taco is sooo cute! Animals are great, aren't they? I love cuddling my new little kitties.

. . . Yeah, he is cute, but he's so spoiled.

~Laura~

2:55 PM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home